Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Garden Update for June 23rd

I'm a day late in posting this week's garden update.  I've been extremely busy, yet still behind in every project/chore that needs working on.  Beginning tonight we'll have house guests for the next 4 weeks.  We've been trying to complete projects on the house while keeping up with the yard.  Repeat~  "Trying"
However, I'm falling more & more behind each day.  So, I figured a day late with this garden update is better than nothing, right?  I have several more posts planned and I'll do my best to post here a few times each week, updating with the garden & other little goings on.

Here's what's happening in the garden this week............

June 23rd-  Garden Overview

 June 23rd- Acorn Squash

 June 23rd- Spaghetti Squash

 June 23rd- Yellow Squash

 June 23rd- Cucumber

June 23rd-  Several Baby Cucumbers

 June 23rd- The young kale & collards are growing nicely

 June 23rd- Peas~ Rabbits have found the peas.  I've draped bird netting over the bed, but it's not long enough to cover the ends.  Will need to find something rabbit proof to block the ends until we can rabbit proof the entire backyard (If that's even possible!)

June 23rd- Beans

 June 23rd- Cilantro is liking this location

 June 23rd- Melon Plant

June 23rd- The Tomato bed.  Bottom leaves were pruned a bit, but the plants still need staking/caging

 June 23rd- Peppers

 June 23rd- Lettuce heads are beginning to form

June 23rd- An Heirloom variety of Romaine, heads are slowly forming

 June 19th- Our first sunflower to bloom

 June 23rd- Pears

June 23rd- Pears

 June 23rd- Granny Smith Apples

 June 23rd- Gala Apples

 June 23rd- Primrose Apples

June 23rd- Primrose Apples

 June 23rd- Blueberries

 June 23rd- A busy little bee on the marigolds

 June 23rd- He visited each flower on several marigold plants while I tried taking pictures of him

June 23rd- Bee

 June 23rd- The day's harvest ~ From Top: Lettuce & Turnip Greens, Radishes, Mustard & Collards

 June 23rd- The day's harvest ~ From Top: More Turnip Greens, More Lettuce, Kale & Arugula

June 23rd- Zucchini & Cucumber

I probably picked these a little too early.  This was the first zucchini to be harvested.  The other 2 that were almost this size began to yellow & rot and I was worried this one would follow.  It was cut up and put it in our spaghetti sauce that night.

The cucumber was cut up and went into our salads, but was a little bitter.  It's a Parisian Pickling Cucumber so maybe they aren't meant for eating raw?

That's the garden update this week.  I made a lot of strawberry jam and baked strawberry bread & muffins. I'll be posting about all of that soon, but need to work on some house guest preparations.  Feel free to comment & tell me what's growing in your gardens and if you have any rabbit proofing tips, I'd appreciate hearing those!

No comments:

Post a Comment