Friday, June 20, 2014

Enjoying the Weeds



Weeds have taken over a few areas of our yard.  Some of them are too pretty to pull up though.  And I would feel guilty pulling the pretty ones since the bees & butterflies can enjoy them, and they are nice to look at.


These little daisies (are they really daisies?) have popped up all over some unkempt areas, like the fire pit seating area above.  We don't use the fire pit so it wasn't a huge deal, but it's become a little shabby lately.  Yesterday I decided I'd pull a few clumps of daisies.  The flowers went into the blue pitcher, the roots into the compost.  That photo was taken after I'd pulled 4 clumps!  Can't even tell, can you?  There are sooo many growing there.


Berry patch or wild flower field?  The daisies have taken over this area.  I wanted to leave it a little wild over here, but didn't intend to let the weeds completely fill in.


The berry patch wasn't initially a project I'd planned to tackle this year, however there were blueberry bushes to move, raspberry canes to trim, strawberries covered in a thick layer of leaves, and a horribly thorny blackberry vine.


I cleaned up what I could earlier in the Spring and we moved the blueberry bushes.  Then we were so busy with the veggie garden and other projects, I forgot about the berry patch.  It needed a lot of work and we just didn't have the time.


I don't mind the daisies.  They are at least something pretty to look at instead of the scraggly, pathetic berry patch.  The bees, butterflies & I are enjoying the flowers while the deer trample through to find any little berry to nibble on.


The daisy weeds have spread to our large bed out front as well.  My plan is to pull several clumps every few days and keep fresh bouquets in the house to enjoy.  I can begin weeding my flower beds and the fire pit and not feel so guilty of taking the flowers from the bees & butterflies.


Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I wish daisies would take over and become a weed problem here, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, It would be nice if everyone had a little bit of a daisy "problem" in their yard. They are pretty & actually help conceal some eyesores. I'm grateful to have a pretty weed problem!

      Delete