Monday, April 13, 2015

Baby Chicks Are Here!


Baby chicks, Just after arriving to their new home, About 3 days old

The baby chicks arrived at my local Post Office Sunday morning, but no one called in order for me to come pick them up.  I was watching the tracking updates and knew they were waiting for me, but with it being Sunday and not a normal working day at the P.O., there wasn't anything I could do.  
Monday morning at 5:30 a.m., I received the call that I could pick them up.  I filled their feeder and waterer and plugged in the heat lamp.  I left the house at about 6:30 a.m. and was back at home about 40 minutes later.

All of the chicks arrived safely and full of energy.  They were peeping and very active.  It didn't take long at all for them to start drinking & eating and getting accustomed to their new home.  For now, they're all in one brooder box, but as soon as they seem to show signs of being crowded, I'll divide them into 2 brooders.  The 2nd box is sitting right next to them waiting.

There is a total of 27 chicks.  I ordered a combination of 7 breeds to total 25 chicks and received 2 bonus chicks as well.  While some are easy to tell which breed they are, others look very similar to each other and will be fun to figure out who's who.

The photos below show the seven breeds that I ordered.  They are all rare or heritage breeds and were ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery



Blue Andalusian



Buttercup




Dominique




Egyptian Fayoumis


Golden Campine



Golden Laced Wyandotte



Phoenix
* All above photos/ artwork from Murray McMurray website


Baby chicks, first day getting accustomed to their new surroundings

No comments:

Post a Comment