Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Making Refrigerator Pickles

Only a few simple ingredients needed

I planted 4 different kinds of cucumbers this year.  They haven't really taken off yet (could be the summer squash overtaking them), but they've been producing a few here and there. Last week I decided to make some refrigerator pickles from a variety of cucumbers I'd picked.

Cucumbers & onions sliced and packed in jars 

I searched online and very loosely followed a recipe for refrigerator pickles.  With this type of pickle, no canning is required.  Only a few simple ingredients combined and just a few days to wait for the flavoring to take place.

Here's what I used (roughly):

5 cups of sliced cucumbers (I used a crinkle cutter to get that "pickle" look)
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup sugar (I use organic sugar, that's why my vinegar mixture is a darker color)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pickling spice
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 garlic gloves, thinly sliced

Dry seasonings ready for vinegar to be added 

Layer cucumbers and onions into 2 wide mouth quart jars.  Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in small sauce pan and stir well.  Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.  Pour mixture evenly over both jars of cucumbers & onions trying to evenly distribute seasonings.  Let cool, cover and refrigerate at least 4 days to meld flavors. May be refrigerated up to one month.

Seasonings cooking & dissolving sugar  

I left my jars in the refrigerator for 5 days before trying.  They passed the taste test of my husband and daughter.  They both love pickles and have been eating them daily.  I don't think we'll have a problem with eating the 2 jars before the one month time limit.

Ready for the fridge

In fact, I picked more cucumbers today and plan to make more pickles in the next day or so.  They are so easy to make.  It takes maybe 30 minutes to slice the cukes and onions, get the seasonings ready & pop the jars in the fridge.  It's so simple to do. If you don't have cucumbers growing in your backyard, pick some up from your farmer's market and give it a try.  They're Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment