Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Garden Update for August 11th

August 11th- Garden Overview- Still no rain, I've resorted to using the sprinkler instead of hand watering.  There are too many chores and not enough time in the day....If only I didn't need sleep. 

August 11th- Path between the squash, dangerous territory here unless you're wearing long pants.

August 11th- Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoes beginning to ripen

August 11th- Black Cherry Tomatoes ripening

August 11th- German Green Tomato

August 11th- Hot Peppers

August 11th- More Hot Peppers

August 11th- Parsnip tops are growing taller each day

August 11th- Pole Beans still filling out

August 11th- Christmas Pole Lima Bean, This pod is at least 6 inches long, waiting for it to fill out

August 11th- Florida Speckled Lima Beans

August 11th- Gourd Tepee

August 11th- One of several gourds

August 11th- The largest gourd so far

August 11th- Primrose Apples, still waiting for them to ripen

August 11th- Bartlett Pear

August 11th- Bartlett Pear, looks like we'll be harvesting soon

August 11th- More Bartlett Pears

~Harvests Since the Last Update~

August 6th- Beets, Romano Italian Green Beans

August 6th- Our first Spaghetti Squash harvest, Blue Lake & Landreth Green Beans,
Romaine Lettuce, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Cucumbers, Peas & Broccoli

August 6th- Romaine Lettuce, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Cucumbers, Peas & Broccoli

August 11th- I had been really busy for a few days and hadn't checked to see what needed cutting, only setting out the sprinkler each morning.  Wouldn't you know it, the zucchini just wouldn't wait for me and grow slowly.  I found huge zucchini yesterday morning!

August 11th- Collards, Parsnip, Zucchini & Yellow Squash, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Peas & Beans

August 11th- Since the parsnip tops are so tall, I pulled one to see the size.
Not a bad size, but I'll leave them a bit longer.

August 11th- Our first bell peppers, We're getting a few peas, The yellow ball- Lemon Cucumber

August 11th- Romano Italian Bush Beans, I recently canned 5 1/2 pounds of these, 
I almost have enough to process again

August 11th- Blue Lake Stringless, So far these are producing very well, Will need to can some soon

August 11th- Kale.....There's always kale

August 11th- Last, but certainly not least, the overgrown zucchini.  These are huge! I've already cut them all up, except for the largest.  I think I'll weigh & measure it before cutting.  Since these were so large, I sliced & diced them to freeze for adding to spaghetti sauce & layering into lasagna.

**Update...I measured the largest zucchini and it weighed 3 lbs 7 oz and was 15 inches long**

That's the garden update for this week.  I picked wild blackberries 2 mornings last week & spent Sunday making jam & syrup.  I'll be sharing photos of that this week as well as photos of processing the green beans.  I'm hoping to pick blueberries sometime this week as well....and maybe more blackberries.  I need to do all the extra picking & preserving that I can before the tomatoes really begin to ripen since once they do, I'll be spending all my days in the kitchen processing those.  Happy Harvesting!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment