Thursday, August 14, 2014

Got Zucchini?

Question:  What do all of these photos have in common?











Answer:  Zucchini

All of these zucchini were picked on different days, except for the last 2 photos - they are both from this past Monday.  There have been more that weren't photographed, including 3 yesterday.  
Like I mentioned in my Garden Update post on Tuesday, the zucchini in the bottom picture are waaay overgrown.  The largest one (and there were 2 others nearly the same size) weighed in at 3 pounds 7 ounces and was 15 inches long!

What do you do with all that zucchini?  Lately, my Go-To recipe has been baked zucchini sticks.  I can't remember where I found it (somewhere online), but here it is:

Baked Zucchini Sticks
ingredients:
3 medium zucchini (about 1 1/4 lbs), cut into 3 inch sticks
1 Tbsp salt
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
2 eggs, scrambled
olive oil spray
salt
directions:

Place the zucchini sticks in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let the zucchini drain for 1 hour. Combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and seasonings in a bowl and set aside.. Preheat the oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Blot the zucchini dry with paper towels. Dip them in the eggs, roll them in the bread crumb mixture, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Once all the zucchini are on the baking sheet, spray the tops lightly with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 12 minutes, then turn the sticks over and bake for 8 more minutes, or until gold brown and crispy. Serve immediately with marinara sauce for dipping.

Several weeks ago I also made zucchini muffins and zucchini chocolate chip cookies {recipe here}.  I'll be making more of those soon.  And a couple of weeks ago I dehydrated zucchini.  You can read about that {here}.  But this week I've been working on slicing, dicing & grating zucchini for the freezer.  I had already sliced & diced some a few weeks ago for freezing, but this week I added more to the freezer.  
I sliced zucchini for layering into lasagna ~ 5 bags- 1 pound each 
I diced zucchini for adding to spaghetti sauce ~ 12 bags- 8 ounces each
I shredded zucchini for baking cookies & muffins ~ 15 bags- 1 cup each
I'm thinking of making zucchini pickles as well.  I see recipes for them everywhere.  I mean you can pickle just about anything, right!?
I know there are a lot of zucchini recipes out there in the web-o-sphere land, but if you have any favorites, feel free to share them in the comments.  I have several zucchini in the fridge and there are more in the garden.  What should I do with them all?  If I had a pig, I know what he'd be eating for dinner every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment