Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Freezing Corn


A couple of weeks ago I purchased some locally grown corn from the produce market.  I bought 15 ears of yellow sweet corn and 8 ears of a purple heirloom variety.  We cooked and ate the purple corn with our dinner that night and I froze the yellow corn to save for later.  Since then, I have purchased 15 more ears of yellow sweet corn and froze those as well.

Here's a quick how-to for prepping corn for freezing.  Hopefully you can still find some fresh corn at your local market.  

Shuck, rinse and trim (if desired) ears of corn.  I cut mine in half as well.

Place ears of corn in boiling water for 5 minutes.

Remove corn from boiling water and place in bowl of ice water for 5 minutes.

Place corn in colander to drain while working on more ears of corn.  Then dry with a towel.

A Food Saver is perfect for removing the air from the bags and only takes seconds.
If you don't have a Food Saver, Ziploc bags will work just fine if you squeeze out 
as much air as possible.

Air removed, sealed up, labeled and ready for the freezer.

15 ears of corn ready for the freezer.
To reheat, remove from bags and place in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.


The blog has been quiet lately since I've been busy trying to keep up at home.  A garden update is overdue.  I'll get to that as quickly as I can.  I haven't taken many garden pictures, however I've been taking harvest photos so they'll go up soon.
Since I posted last, I've made more jelly and today I processed 8 pints of green beans.  I have more beans, but ran out of jars!  Once I have more jars and finish the beans, I'll be working on apples.  Busy Busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment